CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, August 30, 2008

Another day, another dollar... I mean euro.

We had another long and tiring day in Barcelona, but I'm liking this city more and more!

We started the day trying to figure out the metro system. I think it's going to be easy to figure out, but we had to walk a LONG way underground to find the platform we needed. Not only was it really strange being underground, it. was. so. hot. We definitely started the day with the stench of body funk. But it seems clean enough, so I'll probably use it over the next few months.

After figuring out the metro system, we climbed the stairway to heaven.

Ok, it was only the stairs to the Museu Nacional d'Art de Catalunya, but after climbing that many stairs I was ready for a stairway to heaven.

The museum was beautiful and amazing! They hold many cultural events there, so hopefully I'll be back often. Plus, the view of the city is beyond wonderful. This museum isn't one of the biggest, and the main draw is the old gorgeous building that it's housed in. It held works mostly from the lesser known local artists, but there were several Picasso pieces. We only had time for a few exhibits, so I'll try to spend a Saturday there soon to finish up the rest.

After the museum we headed to El Poble Espanyol. This was built in 1929 for the International Exhibition (maybe the World's Fair?). Within this walled village you can find all kinds of handcrafted items and restaurants. Ceramics, textiles, food, guitars, leather goods... you name it and you may can find it. Plus it's got tons of neat cobbled streets and architectural details. We came away with some embroidered items, a few ceramic items, and gelato. Yum!

Then, we made our way back to the harbor to find paella. This was my first real experience with paella, and I LOVED IT! Mom and I shared paella with lobster and I stuffed myself full. Very very full. After a long walk down La Ramblas we ended up back at the apartment and have been sitting on the couch since then.

I'm really tired, and I'm very sorry about the lack of details and pictures. But I will leave you with a few more observations.

1. Spanish men are more attractive than Spanish women, but Spanish women are very graceful.
2. However, Spanish women are not very modest... at all.
3. The longer I stay in this city, the more germophobic I will become. I went through a bottle of Purell today.
4. Public toilets have more "sucking power" than private toilets.
5. It didn't take me long to learn how to crack a lobster claw.
6. You can spot an American from a mile away. We're awkward in foreign cultures.

1 comments:

Peach Momma said...

I LOVE PAELLA TOO!!! Glad to hear that everything is going smooth so far!