CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, August 14, 2008

I'm going to Spain!

...well, not yet.

In 11 days I will pack up several very large suitcases, pay extra fees for weight to have them put on the plane, and start my 117 days journey in Europe. I don't know if I'm really prepared to spend 4 months in Europe. I am terrified. I've never done anything like this on my own. I feel like working at Pine Cove last summer helped me prepare for this in some ways. I started that not knowing anyone there and not having a clue as to what I was supposed to be doing. Horses + Caroline = VERY scary. But I lived through it and actually had an excellent time. God provided so much during those 7 weeks. However, even going into that was a little familiar. At least I was familiar with the culture. I knew that I would be working with Christians in a Christian environment. Spain will be so different. Luckily my parents, grandmother, and I will be there 10 days before the program starts, and I'll have some time to get used to Barcelona. I have to keep telling myself that God will provide everything I need just like he did for me in Texas.

If you feel so inclined, I ask that you join me in praying for a few things:
1) Church. I've been looking around on the internet with little luck for a church to attend while I'm there. It's my hope that I can find one and have some sort of Christian community in Spain. Barcelona is a very large city, so hopefully I will have some luck when I get there.
2) Roommates. I haven't spoken to anyone that I will be studying with. Spain has a reputation for being the country to study abroad in for the purpose of partying. I'm not strictly against it, but I don't necessarily want to be surrounded by it all the time. That would be a LOT easier if I lived with at least one person with the same mindset as me.
3) Attitude. As the time to leave draws closer, I keep getting more and more sad. I know it's going to be such a good experience, but I am so sad about what I will miss here. Just know that I will probably check the internet all day long on the first gameday (and 2nd, 3rd, 4th...), I will be looking at old pictures of Hayride Hoedown in October, and will definitely cry anytime someone puts up pictures of something fun on Facebook. And there's a certain person that I will miss constantly. I really don't want my attitude to ruin the experience I could have in Barcelona.

That's all for now. My next post may or may not be from Spain!!!

1 comments:

Peach Momma said...

Hey friend. I don't know if you like Sabarro's, but they have a very good one in Barcelona. That is one of the American things I noticed and ate at there. It is close to the mall! Hello, I know girls love malls! Everyone there has such a feeling of pride. We will be praying for your safety and God's providence to work through your relationships with the other students. I think God has put you in this place to post your own fun photos on facebook and mainly to show these people, that don't get to see a true Christian, what the saved life is really about.
2.) Whatever you do, don't wander down to the beach and decide to partake in their customs of unbridled sunbathing!! I know it sounds reasonable, but it can cause breast cancer.
3.) It is going to be very difficult and very rewarding once you find a church family. They are not the bible belt over there in Europe, but the group of Christians that you do find will be tight with God!
That's all the European advise I can offer you. Maybe Kinzie and I can come visit!