CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, December 4, 2008

Where to Stay: Granada Hostel edition

After searching around on HostelWorld (which I highly recommend), Jonathan and I decided on Mochi Guesthouse. It combined the main two things we were looking for: a high cleanliness rating (me) and it was fairly cheap (Jonathan). So we booked two beds in the co-ed dorm and away we went! (By the way, the co-ed dorm thing was a little weird for me.)

I have since stayed at nicer places, but my time at Mochi Guesthouse made for a good first hostel experience. On the upside you could use their internet and kitchen as much as you wanted. The beds were very comfortable and clean and the people running it were wonderful! Takashi deals with all of the customers and is fluent in several languages. He was very helpful and easy to talk to. We hung out some while I was waiting on Jonathan. His mother owns and lives in the guesthouse. She only speaks Spanish so she didn't interact with guests much, but she did wake up at 5 AM to call a taxi for me!

On the downside, it is located in the heart of the Albaicin area and about a 10 minute walk to all of the action. If Jonathan had not been with me I would have felt very uncomfortable walking back and forth at night. There were some girls traveling alone that did it, but they must be braver than I. Also, Granada is in the mountains and it gets very cold once the sun starts going down. There was no heat, but the bedding was thick and I actually slept very well.

While I'm sure there are a lot more options (both better and worse) for staying in Granada, I would recommend at least looking at the Mochi Guesthouse. It worked for me!

0 comments: