CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, September 16, 2008

That American education...

There are a lot of ways that the U.S. trumps the rest of the world in their education system. There are a few ways that it falls short. For example, keeping students informed about world events.

Nothing makes you feel smarter than eating dinner with a Moldavian, a Russian, and a Bulgarian (or maybe a Ukrianian--not sure) that know more about your country's current events than you do.

P.S. All the Europeans I've met so far love Obama. However, they aren't learning about the candidates by themselves. They may know what is going on, but it's only surface level stuff. European media is much MUCH less objective than America media... and that's saying something. So, they take the good and the bad things being said without giving it much thought. That, friends, is not good.

***I found out she is Ukranian. And I thoroughly enjoyed my discussion with them over salad. It was nice. And I finally got some feta cheese.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Man, I know just what you are talking about! I always come to that realization when I traveling. I lived in Macedonia one summer and that was one of the main things that struck me in my conversations with college students there.

Humbling.

Thanks for your suggestions about long distance relationships on my blog. I actually brought up to my hubby the one about only asking "whats wrong?" 3x. Brilliant.

Anonymous said...

Hey Caroline! Sounds like everything's going good.
I'll try to follow the flow by offering a few comments"

(1) Somehow I'm not surprised that trips to Ikea make you happy. One suggestion - don't tell your Dad how much you spend - you know how he is!
(2)The bathroom seems to be recurring theme. I'm not sure exactly where this comes from - but I know there are professionals who could offer some advise for a reasonable fee (again-your Dad doesn't have to know the bottom line)
(3)Your blog has so inspired me. Your faith and unwavering quest to find the answers about what is really important in this world are humbling to me and bring me back to my Mom and Dad. I know that they are the ones who inspired you - whether through their influence on your parents or the many hours you've spent one on one with Lou and Fletcher. I thank God every day that I am blessed with the family that I have. We're the lucky ones, Caroline. Pray that everyone you meet each day might be fortunate enough to have the opportunity to feel - if just for a few minutes - the love and caring that we've been given for our whole lives.
Study hard, keep the faith, and keep up the blogging!!
love ya, Aunt Kay