CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, September 29, 2008

English Bookstore in Barcelona

I figured that while I'm here I should probably post a few tips, places, etc. that I've figured out. Then, when people are searching Google for things to do in Barcelona they might benefit from this tourist's thoughts.

Because I was packing for a 117 day trip, I needed to only take the basics. That meant that several books didn't make the cut and I was left with my Bible and two "Christian living" type books. Now, these are definitely good reads, but sometimes I want to read but not really have to think about what I'm reading. The books I brought definitely require an active mind to read. So, after searching Google and an English magazine here, I found the used English bookstore Hiberian books. There are a few others, but I chose this one based on its proximity to my apartment.

Hiberian, located at Carrer de Montseny 17, looks small but, aren't looks usually deceiving? A lot of the books are very old (I had never heard of most of the classics), but I was able to find a few newer fictions that suited my needs. Overall, I think the newer books outnumber the obscure classics. The subject matters range from cooking to politics to sci-fi to feminism and the prices are EXCELLENT!!! Also, all of the books are in very good condition. I bought a paperback and a large hardback for the grand total of 9.85 euros! A few weeks ago I looked at the small selection of English books in a large chain here and all of the prices exceeded 17 euros... paperback too. And considering I found the UK edition several magazines today (finally!) that all cost 8 euros or more, I think Hiberian will definitely be getting my business again.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey You. Love the pictures and the narrative. Makes me feel (almost) like I am there with you. And I am sure all of your avid "blog fans" will be happy to have new material as well. So glad about the church you have found and the new friends you've met.

Will talk to you tomorrow -
love, love, love you.
Momma

p.s. Are there love bugs in Spain? If not - we have enough to share. Globally. We could export them to every country and still have enough to make sure that all carwashes in the southeastern U.S. are prosperous.

Anonymous said...

I love old books...old copies feel like they have their own stories to tell..you know? Glad you found some good reads. I can remember how excited I was to find some English magazines while flying home from Africa last year...

alejeather said...

This is great information to know! However, I have hardly touched the books I brought yet. Somehow I don't seem to have time. Geez, already busy? I've only been here a week!

But yah, I had seen your comment :) I don't mind air kisses so much. Between friends, I actually like the custom, but with male coworkers when you're meeting them for the first time, it's SO WEIRD!